Monday, January 31, 2011

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup

I've decided to start a new series called Crock Pot Mondays. On Mondays, I have an evening class so I'm usually gone from 3-8. I love crock pot meals because Neil can eat when he gets home and then leave it on warm for me. It's so much easier than trying to prepare a meal before I leave and leaving instructions for how to cook it and then heating it up in the microwave when I get home. So, Mondays are now Crock Pot Mondays!

The only downside to this meal is that is smelled so delicious the entire day while it was cooking that it was hard for me to leave without getting any. It reminded me of a creamier salsa chicken just with more substance. Hubby complained only a little about the beans but in the end he admitted they made a pretty good addition. Recipe from the Cooking Nurse.

1 cup chunky medium salsa
8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen or thawed)
15 0z can yellow corn, undrained
32 oz can pinto beans, undrained
15 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
30 oz cream of chicken soup
2 tbsp taco seasoning
2 (6-inch) corn tortillas cut into strips
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Add everything to the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours. Before serving, remove chicken and shred with two forks, then add the chicken back to the crock pot. Serve with shredded cheese and tortilla chips. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment