Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Maple-Glazed Roasted Carrots

I forgot to bring my camera to Whitney's house to take pictures of Thanksgiving dinner. Sorry :)

When planning our menu for Thanksgiving, I was reminded of the rule my parents had for us when we were eating at buffets. We always had to have at least three colors on our plate. If not, we'd always come back with a plate full of carbs. My three colors were usually yellow (corn), green (salad or pickles), and white (mashed potatoes). For some reason, when you go to buffets, vegetables just aren't as enticing as all the carbs.

It's the same when planning a big menu. I find it so easy to think of carb side dishes but when I look at the overall menu, I realize I have 10+ carbs and 1 vegetable. So then I have to go back and edit down the list of carbs and add more vegetables. That's exactly what happened with this years menu. The only vegetables I had on the menu were corn and green bean casserole. I added these carrots at the last minute and I'm glad I did.

They taste like regular roasted carrots but the addition of maple syrup gives them just a touch of sweetness.

Maple-Glazed Roasted Carrots

1 lb carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal line into the same size pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400ยบ. Heat olive oil in and oven proof frying pan to medium-hot. Add the carrots (you'll hear a slight sizzling sound). Saute carrots 3-4 minutes, or until the surface is slightly blistered and starting to color.


Turn down heat to low and add maple syrup and stir to coat carrots. Season well with salt and pepper.

Put frying pan into hot oven and roast carrots for 1o-15 minutes, or until they are slightly browned and done to your liking. Serve hot. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment