Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fried Pickles

Something happened with my blog and the posts I had scheduled for this past week, including my Super Bowl post, deleted themselves. I'm not sure why or how but they did. So the nest few recipes won't have pictures since the pictures deleted themselves as well. Luckily, I hadn't posted these guys yet.

Fried Pickles. Yum. Back in Georgia, there was a restaurant that brought out free appetizers including sweet potato fries and fried pickles. I love love love pickles. They are my favorite salty food. And fried pickles are no exception. This recipe was delicious. It's no exact Hooters or BDubs replica but it's still delicious. I consumed way too many the night I made these and I'm selfishly glad hubby doesn't like pickles. Recipe from the Food Network.

1 pint sliced dill pickles, undrained (spears, slices, or chips work)
1 large egg, lightly beated
1 tbsp all-purpose flour, plus 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1 1/2 to 2 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
Vegetable oil


Drain pickles, reserving 2/3 cup of the juice. Press pickles between paper towels to dry. Combine 2/3 cup pickle juice with the egg, 1 tbsp flour, and hot sauce. Stir well and set aside.

Combine 1 1/2 cups of flour with ground red pepper, garlic powder, salt and paprika. Blend well. Dip pickles in egg mixture, then dredge in flour mixture. Fry the coated pickles in 375ยบ oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

I followed the recipe exactly for half the batch and for the other half I dipped twice in both the flour and egg mixture. The ones that were dipped twice had a thicker coating which I personally liked more. Also, make sure to place the coated pickles in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. This makes the coating crispier when you fry it. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog, and this post grabbed my eye! Fried pickles are one of my favourite things in the world! I like you already! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is delicious! And anyone who likes pickles is a friend of mine :)

    ReplyDelete