Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cheesy and Creamy Mashed Potatoes

I love mashed potatoes. They are probably my most favorite side dish. Unfortunately, I find it easier to just buy the instant kind that takes 5 minutes tops to completely prepare and I prefer the ease of instant to the hassle of peeling real potatoes and the time it takes to cook. But when I found this recipe on Allrecipes, I had to try it. I liked the idea of using evaporated milk. So when the hubby requested meatloaf, which is usually accompanied by instant potatoes, I tired it out and I have to say, I'm in love!

Sorry there's no picture! But mashed potatoes pretty much all look alike :)

2 lbs potatoes
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Garlic salt, salt and pepper to taste

Optional add ins:
Crumbled, cooked bacon
Green onion
Extra cheese

Place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain. Return potatoes to saucepan and add evaporated milk and butter. Beat with handheld mixer until smooth. Stir in cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Add any additional toppings and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment