Friday, May 28, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons...

... Bake Pink Lemonade Cupcakes!

When I saw these on my reader, I was extremely excited. This past weekend, I had a bonfire at a friends house along with friends coming from Georgia to visit. For the bonfire, we were celebrating the end of school so I wanted something that represented summertime. Enter lemonade. Even better, pink lemonade! These cupcakes were perfect for the bonfire and I even managed to save a few for a picnic with our house-guests! The cupcakes were very moist and definitely had the tang of lemonade. The recipe appears to be pretty versatile so I can't wait to substitute other fruit concentrates!

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Pinch salt
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
4 egg whites
2/3 c. thawed frozen Pink Lemonade Concentrate
1/2 c. buttermilk (I used 2% and it worked fine)
Pink food coloring

Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan with liners. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, egg whites and lemonade concentrate. Alternately whisk in flour mixture and buttermilk, beating until just smooth.

Add just enough food coloring to turn the batter a light shade of pink.

Spoon batter into liners (fill about three-fourths full). Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack. Top cooled cupcakes with frosting (see below).


Here is the frosting recipe that was included with the cupcake recipe. I utterly failed at making the frosting. It was a mess. But I figured I'd include it in case anyone wants to try it out! If you succeed please tell me the secret :)

Lemonade Buttercream
3 c. + 3 Tbsp. confectioner’s sugar
1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
1/8 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. pink lemonade concentrate
Milk to reach desired consistency*
Pink food coloring

Add the butter, confectioner’s sugar, salt, lemonade concentrate, and a few drops of food coloring to the stand mixer and mix on low using the paddle attachment until combined.

I'm pretty sure this is the step I screwed up on. I think I added too much milk because my frosting definitely didn't achieve that fluffy frosting consistency.

Recipe from Simply Sweet Bake Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment