Friday, May 7, 2010

Strawberry Cupcakes


I love going to the grocery store this time of year when they have the huge containers of strawberries for such a cheap price. My favorite way to eat them is dipped in sugar up until I found this recipe. It's from allrecipes but I adapted it a bit according to the comments to give it a stronger strawberry flavor.


2 ½ cups cake flour (I used all-purpose flour)
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup unsalted butter
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk (I used 2% milk and it worked fine)
¼ cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups chopped strawberries (I pureed about 2.5 cups of frozen strawberries and left a few chunks in)


Preheat the oven to 350°. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.

Sift flour, salt and baking soda into a medium bowl. Set aside. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until combined. Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla and beat until combined. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in chopped strawberries. Fill cupcake wells ¾ full with batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.

The strawberry chunks along with the pureed strawberries made these taste even better than fresh strawberries with sugar! I frosted half with cream cheese frosting and the rest with buttercream. The cream cheese tasted the best but I can't wait to make them next time with strawberry frosting!

No pictures for this post. The cupcakes disappeared to quick for that!

ETA: I made a second batch because they were that good! And I took some pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment