Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Stuffed Pork Wellington

This recipe still needs a little work. Well, not the recipe but my pastry folding methods. The first time I made this recipe, it turned out like this...... yep. Not so pretty. But it was still absolutely delicious! My in-laws were in town two weekends ago so I definitely wanted to impress them with my cooking skills :) Amy, at Sing for your Supper, served this at her Luxury Dinner Party for Project Food Blog. As soon as I saw it, I put it on my list of recipes to try. Hers looked much prettier than mine but I'm convinced I'll get it right next time!

My in laws praised the recipe so much that I decided to use it again when my dad came to visit this past weekend! My pastry wrapping skills were much better than the first time. The preparation wasn't that hard and it tasted amazing. I definitely recommend this recipe if you want to impress!

2 pork tenderloins of equal size (about 2.5-3lbs all together)
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tsp dried rosemary, chopped
3/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbsp butter, softened
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
extra 2 tbsp butter
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg + 1 splash heavy cream, beaten together, for egg wash

Flatten pork tenderloins between two pieces of plastic wrap and season with salt and pepper.

Mix together the parsley, 2 tbsp of softened butter, parmesan, rosemary, salt and pepper to taste (you're making a paste).

Spread mixture on one of the tenderloins. Top with the other tenderloin and press together firmly. Tie into place with a white string.

Heat the other 2 tbsp of butter in a skillet and brown the tenderloins well on both sides (about 2 minutes per side) over medium-high heat. Remove, allow to cool slightly and remove string.

Flour a large surface and a rolling pin and roll the puff pastry out into a rectangle large enough to wrap around the tenderloins. If you find that you don't have the rolling pin like you thought you did (like I did), use a rounded cup or coffee mug. Place the tenderloins on the pastry, moisten the edges with the egg wash and press firmly together to enclose the tenderloins completely. If desired, make decorations from any surplus pastry, moisten and press into place on top. Brush all over with egg wash.

Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in a preheated 400º oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350º and bake for an additional 20 minutes (if pastry is browning too quickly, place a foil tent over it). Let rest for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve hot, cut into thick slices. Serves 4-6.

1 comment: