Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Southwest Spaghetti Pie

I have a document saved on my computer of all the recipes I want to try. It's going on 3 pages long and I keep adding to it whenever I check my favorite blogs! I found this recipe on The Teacher Cooks and what caught my eye about it was the fact that it can be prepped ahead of time as well as the fact that it makes a ton! With my schedule this semester, it feels like I'm rushed to get dinner on the table most nights. It's nice to have everything prepared the night or day before and be able to toss it all together, cook, and serve! I also love leftovers because it saves us money on lunch the next day. Be prepared, this recipe makes a lot!

8 ounces thin spaghetti
1/3 cup of milk
1 egg
1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese with jalapeno
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 425º. Put water on to boil and cook pasta according to directions. Drain. Brown meat with onion, pepper, and garlic. Drain if necessary. Add seasonings and stir in tomato sauce. Simmer for about 5 minutes while the pasta is cooking.

Butter a 9 x 13 pyrex dish. Mix well egg and milk in a small bowl. Temper the eggs and milk with some of the warm pasta until the milk and eggs are warm (Do this to avoid scrambling the eggs in hot pasta). In large bowl, pour cooked pasta and mix with milk and eggs. Pour the pasta mixture into buttered pyrex dish. Top with the sauce and add shredded cheeses. Bake at 425º for 10 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Let standd for 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment