Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Potato Salad

Neil was planning to cook hamburgers for us so I planned a traditional summer dish that I had yet to try: potato salad. Potato salad, like pasta salad, is another seemingly easy recipe that I knew the basics for but I wasn't sure what brought it all together. The easiest and most traditional recipe I found was on www.idahopotato.com. It was very easy to prepare and delicious. Next time, I might up the vinegar just a smidge and reduce the celery. Other than that, if you are looking for a traditional potato salad, this is it!

2 lbs Idaho Potatoes, peeled and diced (about 5 cups)
1/2 cup mayonnaise or light mayonnaise
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup finely diced celery
1/2 cup finely chopped onion or scallion (optional)
1/2 cup chopped hard-boiled egg (optional
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley, chives or dill (optional)

Place potatoes in large pot and add enough water to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook 13-15 minutes or until Potatoes are tender. Drain. In a large bowl, combine mayo, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add potatoes, celery and optional add-ins. Toss to coat thoroughly.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Try a little mustard in your potato salad. In fact, we typically make ours with more of a mustard base than a mayonaise base. Probably has fewer calories, plus I like the tatse better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to email me the recipe! Fewer calories would definitely be better!

    ReplyDelete