Friday, February 24, 2012

Bacon Pierogi Bake


Doing the grocery shopping is just one of the many things I love about my husband. It's such a little thing but he knows I'm not a fan of that chore so each week he volunteers to go. He's pretty wonderful, if I haven't mentioned it yet.

So I really couldn't complain when I went to make dinner last week and realized there were no pierogis in our freezer. I looked over at him and asked, "Babe where are the pierogis?" He responded, "What the heck is a pierogi? I saw it on there but had no idea what it was. Sorry." Thanks love, it would have been nice to know that when I was getting ready to make dinner. But, with a little explaining of what a pierogi is and where it could be found, he made a quick trip out to grocery store and came back with exactly what I needed.

This was delicious. The cream cheese sauce tasted great with the pierogis and who doesn't like bacon?

Bacon Pierogi Bake
Source: slightly adapted from Peace, Love and French Fries

1 16 oz package frozen potato and cheddar cheese pierogies
2 bacon slices, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
pepper

Preheat oven to 400º. Arrange the pierogies in an 11 x 7 inch glass baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cook bacon in a saucepan over medium heat, until crisp; remove from pan and set aside.

Add garlic to drippings in pan and cook for 40 seconds, stirring constantly. Add cream cheese to pan and cook for 1 minute, until cream cheese begins to melt, stirring frequently. Gradually add chicken broth to pan, whisking until smooth.

Pour the cream cheese mixture evenly over the pierogies. Top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Bake at 400º for 20 minutes, until bubbly and thoroughly heated. Remove from oven, sprinkle with bacon and pepper, and serve warm. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment