Monday, June 21, 2010

Meatloaf

Okay, I have a confession: I never had meatloaf until I got married. While taking pictures for this post I realized why-it looks kinda gross. I couldn't take a picture that looked appetizing and even when I googled it to see if it was just my sub par picture taking skills that made it look bad, I couldn't find a good image. I choose my food like a choose my books- by the "cover." However, the hubby loves meatloaf although he always had the pre-made kind growing up. So I decided to give it a try- and I loved it!

This is the best recipe I've tried and hubby says it even beats the store-bought kind!

2 eggs
3/4 cup of milk
2/3 cup of finely crushed saltines
1/2 cup of chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
Dash of pepper
1.5 lbs lean ground beef
1 cup of ketchup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon Worcstershire sauce

In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add milk, saltines, onion, sage, salt and pepper. Add beef and mix well. Shape into a loaf and place in an ungreased shallow baking pan. Combine remaining ingredients and spread 3/4 cup over the meat loaf. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes or until no pink remains; drain. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with remaining sauce.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment